History of the NSF

National Sculpture Factory is situated in The Old Power House, on Albert Road, in the heart of Cork City. Built in the late 19th century, it was a tram depot, and was known as the Albert Road Power House, which housed the trams from 1898 until 1931. It changed hands in 1931, and served as the ESB headquarters until the mid-1980s. Cork City Council took over the building in the 1980’s, and in response to a need among fine art sculptors for affordable studio space and visual arts services, and at the intervention of four local artists – Maud Cotter, Vivienne Roche, Eilis O’Connell and Danny McCarthy – leased it to the then newly formed National Sculpture Factory.